Success and Failure of Decision Support Systems for Integrated Water Resource Management
in collaboration with UNESCO-ROSTE
and founded by the EC Human Resource Development Programme (Marie Curie Actions)
Brief history of Palazzo Zorzi | How to reach the workshop venue
The workshop will be held at Palazzo Zorzi, UNESCO-ROSTE office.
UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION - UNESCO
Regional Bureau for Science in Europe (ROSTE)
Palazzo Zorzi, Castello 4930 - 30122 Venice Italy
Switchboard: +39 041 2601511
Fax.: +39 041 5289995
Brief history of Palazzo Zorzi
This palace represents an interesting example of the architectural period of transition between Gothic and Renaissance styles in Venice during the end of the 1400's. The façade of the palace facing the Rio di San Severo ( San Severo Canal ) was designed and elaborated using white Istrian stone. The delicate cleaning and restoration operations carried out on the façade was completed in 1998.
According to historical documents and archives, the palace was purchased by the Venetian family (Zorzi) in 1396-1399. Towards the end of the 1400's, with the intervention of the Italian architect Mauro Codussi, the Zorzi Palace was restructured and transformed from the Gothic style into a Renaissance style.
From 1711, Palazzo Zorzi is no longer inhabited by the Zorzi family. It's four floors are rented to various families.
Palazzo Zorzi becomes exclusive property of the Municipality of Venice , which designates the building to be used as apartments to be rent to local families during the 1920's until the end of the 1960's. After the last tenants leave, the building is left abandoned until 1996. In a three party agreement signed between UNESCO, the Italian Government and the Municipality of Venice concerning ROSTE's premises in Venice, the Municipality of Venice designates Palazzo Zorzi as ROSTE's future office location. Massive external and internal restoration works begin in 1997 and Palazzo Zorzi is completed in March 2002.
Palazzo Zorzi's transformation from a multiple housing project to UNESCO-ROSTE's official premises included the creation of an information and documentation center at the mezzanine floor as well as a fully equipped and furnished conference facilities located on the first floor or "piano nobile". The architectural project was elaborated and carried out by Prof. G. Bellavitis and his associates from Venice .
Despite the heavy internal restructuring of the building over the centuries, various original frescos and wooden rafters and beams were uncovered during the restoration works and carefully restored.
During the spring and summer months of 2002, UNESCO-ROSTE and the Liaison Office for the Safeguarding of Venice were transferred to their new location at Palazzo Zorzi. Both the scientific bureau and the cultural liaison office are now united together under one roof in order to more effectively implement UNESCO's major activities.
How to reach the workshop venue
For information about how to reach the Palazzo Zorzi, please download the .pdf file (539 Kb).
Previous page | Next page