Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, Stanford University, Resources for the Future Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei Stanford University Resources for the Future post 2012 climate policy




Workshop Venue

The Workshop will be hosted by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore.

How to reach

The boat stop in the St. Mark's area is on the waterfront called Riva degli Schiavoni. From St. Mark's Square turn left and proceed along the waterfront crossing over two bridges. After the second bridge you will see two landing stages (one before the statue of Vittorio Emanuele, and one after).

Water bus stop (no. 82)

The water bus, line number 82 (red route) leaves for the Island of San Giorgio at 10 minute intervals with a journey time of approximately 3 minutes. Boats leave "on the nine"… 8.09, 8.19, 8.29, etc. Until 8.19 the boat leaves from the landing stage preceding the statue. From 8.29 the boat leaves from the second landing stage after the statue.
Please be advised that the number 82 leaves from other boat stops on the Riva degli Schiavoni however the boats do not go directly to the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore. It is advisable to ask the boat conductor to confirm your final destination.

Should you wish to arrive at the Workshop venue from other areas in the city, the number 82 line also leaves from Ferrovia (the railway station), Piazzale Roma (Car and Bus Terminal), and Zattere boat stops, leaving for the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore every 20 minutes.
For further information with regards to the Public water transport system in Venice please consult the ACTV website.

Short description

Fondazione Giorgio Cini is located on the Island of San Giorgio (see tha map), and is one of the most important architectural complexes in the world for its magnitude and artistic value. In the history of the Venetian Republic there was no great personality who resisted the temptation of spending a few hours in contemplation among the walls of its silent cloisters, and many were the illustrious visitors who underwent its fascination, in the suggestive setting between sky and water.
In 790 the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore required its name from a small church dedicated to St. George and from the year 982 it became the seat of a Benedictine monastery. Over the centuries the Abbey of St. George grew and prospered, acquiring great prestige as a centre of spiritual and cultural diffusion, but also as a privileged site of meeting and refuge. This growing prosperity was matched by the development of its monumental buildings of the sixteenth century. The Gothic complex in the centre of the island, which currently hosts Fondazione Giorgio Cini, was superseded by a Renaissance reconstruction. The present church is the work of the greatest architect of the Veneto Renaissance, Andrea Palladio. It was begun in 1556 and completed at the beginning of following century, after Palladio's death. The paintings include masterpieces like The Last Supper and The Fall of Manua by Jacopo Tintoretto, and other canvasses by Domenico Tintoretto, Jacopo Bassano, Palma il Giovane and Sebastiano Ricci. In 1799, in the upper chapel, the Conclave was opened, where Pope Pius VII was elected, and where a painting by Carpaccio hangs representing St. George slaying the dragon.
To the right of the square in front of the church is the entrance to the two cloisters of the ancient monastery. The second cloister, the inner and more ancient one, gives access to the Chapter House with a Lombardesque portal, and the grandiose Palladian Refectory. This hall was the fruit of a collaboration with Paolo Veronese who, in order to "open up" the end wall, painted a huge canvas representing the Wedding Feast at Cana, which was taken to Paris during the Napoleonic period to hang in the Louvre. In its place you will find a painting of the Tintoretto school representing the Marriage of the Virgin.
The monumental staircase and the library are the work of Baldassare Longhena. The library, situated on the first floor, is furnished with shelves and wooden statues by Franz Pauc and decorated with a series of ceiling paintings by two famous mannerists of the seventeenth century, generally know as "i fratelli lucchesini" (The brothers from Lucca).
The far wing of the cloister is closed by the famous Dormitory, 128 metres in length and built at the end of the fifteenth century by Giovanni Buora and his son, Andrea from Lugano. This forms part of the Salesian Institute found here today.
With the fall of the Serenissima, the Island began to suffer the devastation and pillage of occupying forces, first during the Napoleonic period and later under the domination of the Austrians. After the closure of the Benedictine monastery, San Giorgio became a free port and some warehouses were constructed on the northern side, while the dock was closed by a small jetty. After a brief popular revolt against the Austrians in 1848, the Island was used for Austrian military installations. It maintained this function, though with entirely different aims, even when Venice became part of the kingdom of Italy in 1866.
After World War II, the Island was rescued from this period of decline, which lasted for more than a century, and from its inevitable consequences thanks to the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, a private institution created by Count Vittorio Cini in memory of his son Giorgio, who died in an air crash. The Foundation was legally recognised by a Presidential decree on 12 July 1951, and the Island was conceded to the Cini Foundation for the purpose of restoring the historical buildings and founding its own cultural institutions. The restoration of the Island and its buildings was carried out between 1951 and 1954.
At the very beginning three independent centres were established on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore: the Naval Training Centre, the Arts and Trades Centre and the Culture and Civilisation Centre. 

Further information
Further information on the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and its activities is available at


:: Workshop Information ::
About the Workshop
| FEEM-Stanford Climate Policy Workshop | Programme | Scientific Committee | Biographical Statements